The Top 21 Most Frequently Asked Painting Questions at Nolan Painting
If you’re looking for a painting company, chances are you’ll have a lot of questions to ask. At Nolan Painting our entire business wants you to be comfortable asking any question that may arise. That’s why we put together some of our most commonly asked questions for you!
- What type of paint do you use and why?
- Do you still use oil based paints and what is the primary difference between oil and water-based (acrylic, latex) paints? Benefits?
- What types of environmentally friendly options to you offer?
- How many coats of paint is included in the quote?
- What are the different kinds of paint finishes and how do I select them for each room?
- Can you offer advice on how to choose a color?
- What if I don’t like the color selected, can I change it? Would it be an additional cost?
- What is Faux Finish?
- How long will the job take?
- How quickly can an estimator get to my home?
- Can you paint the exterior of my home in the winter time? Are there certain times of year or weather conditions that would prohibit any type of service?
- What is the benefit of working with you?
- How do I prepare my rooms for your visit?
- How much will this painting job disrupt my home?
- My room is wallpapered now. How will you handle that?
- Can you fix water damage or holes in my walls and if so, how long will it take?
- Can I trust your employees?
- Are you insured?
- Are you licensed?
- Can you provide references?
- Do you offer a warranty?
1. What type of paint do you use and why?
We primarily use quality products from Sherwin Williams. If there is another brand that you are interested in using, talk with your estimator.
2. Do you still use oil based paints and what is the primary difference between oil and water-based (acrylic, latex) paints? Benefits?
Oil-based paints have been mostly removed from the market for architectural applications. This is due to the constant push for less solvent and lower VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) in the paint formulas. Oil-based paints redeeming qualities include a superior smooth look, good moisture resistance, and ultimate hardness and durability. Unfortunately, because of the curing process, oil-based paints tend to become very brittle as they age, which leads to cracking, peeling, and ultimate failure of the paint. On exteriors and moisture prone areas on interiors, oil-based paints have a tendency to mildew, because some of the ingredients act as a food source for mildew. Water-based paints, also known as latex and acrylic paints (these are the ingredients that “bind” the paint to the surface), have come so far and have outperformed their counterparts of yesteryear. Today’s latex and acrylic paints exhibit excellent qualities, such as moisture resistance, mildew resistance, flexibility, color fastness, and block resistance (the ability to not stick to itself or objects to stick to the finish, such as items on a painted shelf). Most of the water based paints we use are known as 100% acrylic, which are of the highest quality available.
3. What types of environmentally friendly options to you offer?
We will use low and non-VOC paints upon request.
4. How many coats of paint are included in the quote?
We always apply two coats of paint, guaranteed.
5. What are the different kinds of paint finishes and how do I select them for each room?
Paint finish comes in three general categories:
Flat Finish– also known as matte finish
Satin Finish – also known as eggshell finish or low-luster finish
Gloss Finish – also known as semi-gloss finish Read where the best places to use these types of finishes are in your home.
6. Can you offer advice on how to choose a color?
Lighting, architecture, and room decor are three environmental factors to consider when choosing a paint color. An ideal paint color is one that considers the all three elements and provides balance and unity to the space.
7. What if I don’t like the color selected, can I change it?
Would it be an additional cost? Yes, it is ultimately the homeowner’s responsibility for any color choices, and there is an additional cost for a color change. The additional cost is determined by how much of the job is completed, along with the cost of the additional paint.
8. What is Faux Finish?
It is a decorative painting technique. Faux is a French word meaning false. This painting technique is a way to replicate materials such as marble and wood with paint. There are many forms of decorative paint finishes used for walls and furniture, which include: marbleizing, wood graining, Venetian plaster, color wash, striping or streaking, and rag painting.
9. How long will the job take?
Depending on the project, you will need to call Nolan Painting to discuss scope of work. However, Nolan Painting does guarantee the job will get done within 10 days or less (winter season only). A typical bedroom would take about a day or two to paint the walls, ceiling and trim. You should plan on not having access to the bedroom for at least one night.
10. How quickly can an estimator get to my home?
The waiting time for an estimate is generally within one week. There are times during the year (April, May, and June) that we get many calls and the wait time can reach two weeks.
11. Can you paint the exterior of my home in the winter time? Are there certain times of year or weather conditions that would prohibit any type of service?
The exterior of your home cannot be painted in the winter. The winter season in the Philadelphia area lasts from the beginning of December to mid-April. Temperatures below 35 degrees Fahrenheit are what stop us from painting exteriors.
12. What is the benefit of working with you?
Customer Service. Our success has been based on delivering high quality painting services with exceptional customer service. We stand behind our work and will work with you to make sure you are happy with the experience and the finished product.
13. How do I prepare my rooms for your visit?
You will need to remove any small items from the tops of shelves and pictures from your wall. We can move the larger items towards the center of the room and properly cover and protect furniture/items.
14. How much will this painting job disrupt my home?
Disruption is kept to a minimum. At the end of each day our crews will clean the areas we are working in and move tools and paint to a shop area (garage or basement).
15. My room is wallpapered now. How will you handle that?
We will remove wallpaper prior to painting. Before we remove the paper we will test an area to see how the paper was applied. If the wallpaper was not applied properly it may lead to damage to the walls when the paper is removed. Your crew leader will discuss with you other options if this is the case.
16. Can you fix water damage or holes in my walls and if so, how long will it take?
We will fill old holes, fix water damage, and any other repairs will be completed as part of our preparation. The time it takes to repair is in proportion to the amount of damage.
17. Can I trust your employees?
Yes. Our professional custom painters are full-time employees – not subcontractors, which mean each employee is reference checked and a criminal background check is performed.
18. Are you insured?
Yes. For your protection, we offer up to $2 million liability.
19. Are you licensed?
We have all appropriate licenses, which include:
PA Home Improvement Contractor #020814.
EPA Lead Safe Certified Firm NAT-26976-1
Each Crew Leader is EPA Certified
All Employees have received Lead Safe Training.
21. Can you provide references?
Yes, we can! We can give you a recent customer to call or have you look at our report cards that customers fill out at the end of each job. We also have excellent 5 star online reviews posted on our website and on Angie’s List, Google+ and Yelp.
Still have a question? We’d love to hear from you. Feel free to comment below and one of our experienced staff members will provide you with an answer that always emulates the Nolan Promise.